Powster is looking for a Head of Development. The successful candidate will inspire and lead the dev team across both our LA and London studios to create awesome and cutting edge products. To do this effectively, they should have an intimate understanding of our products and client base. They should develop and introduce practices and systems to improve efficiency across the products and ensure our tech is moving in the right direction.
- Thoroughly understand each product we make and develop technical specifications and roadmaps for each
- Constantly brainstorm new product ideas to innovate within our industry
- Discover and implement new technologies that yield competitive advantage
- Ensure user-oriented and mobile design is the primary approach to product development
- Establish and supervise a Quality Assurance process
- Schedule time for code reviews, refactoring and documentation to ensure codebase stays fresh
- Communicate major changes in Product Development and technical decisions and required improvements to the CEO and CCO through regular, structured reports
- Work closely with the Director of Production and Director of Creative to accurately scope pitches and projects and provide estimates on build time and schedules
- Work closely with the CCO to respond to commercial technical needs and feedback on scope and product possibilities
- Attend client meetings as the technical expert and be the face of Powster tech
- Manage team devs across LA and London studios
- Hold devs accountable for good, consistent work and encourage pride in product
- Monitor team member progress with frequent check-ins and 6 month formal reviews to discuss team member goals, progress and salary reviews
- Manage team attendance, holiday and time-off requests
- Foster a healthy development environment that inspires our team, keeping people engaged and passionate in their work, and never punishing for mistakes
- Manage and build out the current dev team in London and LA
- Develop and manage onboarding plans for new hires across both offices
- Maintain good relationships and encourage open communication within the team so devs feel they have someone to go to when problems arise
- Organise frequent dev lunches, socials and presentations to inspire team camaraderie and maintain positive vibes and friendships amongst team members
- Minimum 7 years as a developer
- Experience managing a dev team of at least 10 (preferably on and off-shore)
- Experience with Git, Command Line, Databases, Testing and Architecture Setup
- Experience with agile management
- Good communication skills
- Startup experience a big bonus
- Experience with client-facing communication and professional in meetings
- Rapidly adapt to circumstances and thrive in a fast paced studio with challenges
- Ability to identify and develop processes and structure where it is lacking
- Must be happy to perform hands on work as well as drive strategic direction
- Someone sociable and friendly, who loves their team (and preferably dogs)
We make movie websites. Last year we built over 1300 websites and had 422 million visits across all our platforms built by a team of 30. We made websites for 87 of the top 100 grossing films internationally and covered 92% of websites for the Global Box office in 2017 alone.
We are a creative studio based out of the London Fields area in Hackney, with a studio in Los Angeles. We are a friendly team of talented, creative and hard-working people.
In addition to our movie websites, we also make award winning music videos, interactive sites, installations, VR/AR experiences and loads of other fun stuff wherever we have the opportunity.
If you haven’t already, please take a look at our site www.powster.com.
Powster perks include flexible working hours in a roomy plant-ridden studio, complete with a private cinema room, shower, bike storage, studio drinks fridge, desk beers, table tennis, a summer roof terrace and office dogs.
Working across the London and Los Angeles studios with regular trips to Los Angeles.
We also get movie premiere tickets, pre-premiere exclusive movie screenings, PictureHouse membership and are extremely well connected in the entertainment industry.
Salary dependent on experience.